Last week when Lucas and I went to a play date, I got on to the subject of sleeping. Sarah our playdate hostess loaned me her book about sleep training. Lucas had gotten into the habit of only wanting to sleep if he was in the bed with me and usually only with me. Throughout the night he was always very restless and woke up many times. Of course I wasn't getting much sleep either so we were both pretty much cranky and tired most of the day. I decided to go ahead with trying to get him to 1) sleep in his own crib 2) to no longer sleep in my room 3) to let him cry it out until he learned to put himself to sleep. Number 2 was of course was way harder on me, I loved it when he was cuddled next to me and I could smell his sweet baby smell and he would reach his arm to touch my face.
Well I am proud to say that after a few long nights of crying for hours before falling asleep he had his first night with no tears. I don't know if this will be the norm but I'm glad it finally happened. It was of course bittersweet because suddenly I felt like he no longer needed me at night. The thought only lasted for a moment because I know my big boy needs me.
I have to admit that I am not completely sleep trained yet because several nights I have taken Lucas out of his crib so he could lay in the bed with me for a few hours, and then put him back in his crib. I Love My Baby Boy.

Lil- oh, how that brings back memories. We went through that with my first, Austin. Making him cry it out at 11 month was the last, hardest but best working resort for us. One time he crawled (fell) out of his crib crying so hard. Now he'll sleep til noon if I let hime! What a cute blog you're doing!
ReplyDeleteNot to worry momma, when he's old enough to get out of bed (potty training maybe), he'll get back to your bed before his own! LOL
ReplyDeleteAustin did it and Ciara is doing it now. Try explaining to a 3 yo that the reason why she's tired is because she keeps waking up and coming to my room! LOL
God Bless Your Home! MUAH HUGS LOVE
Hey Lil. I might need to borrow that book. As you might know Abigaeal is almost 3 and is still sleeping with mom and dad. I feel it has been time to move her to her own bed about 3 years ago. Mando and I are planing a get away for the weekend of the 24th of april. Manny my brother is getting married. We just need to get away on our own. We love our 5 kids but we need a break. Lucus always looks so cute! The Longoria Family.
ReplyDelete